Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Cats, Tires, and the Crew.

First and foremost I'd like to say congratulations to the Brewers, who, for the first time since 1982, have made it into the play-offs. Sporting a big "up yours" to the larger market teams such as the Mets and Yankees. Normally, I don't get too excited about baseball, but when my hometown team finally makes it to the play-offs after such a drought, it notes some attention. Now for a small rant on why I don't care for Baseball...

It's a fun sport to watch....at the stadium, where hours of beer, brats, and parking lot football take care of any desire for needing action before you enter the stadium. To me watching a baseball game on TV is about as entertaining as watching golf. It's great if you're a student of the game, but for everyone else, it's deadsville. It's also an unfair sport. Unfair in terms of team equality. Teams stack their teams with superstars by offering $100 million salaries. There are "rules" in place to keep this from happening, but the biggest teams don't care because they can afford to pay any "fines" the league may impose on them. This one sidedness breeds greed amongst the leagues top players who obviously want to get paid as much as possible. There are, of course, a few players who stick to teams out of loyalty and love for the game, but they are few and far between. What I love the most about the NFL (which does have a salary cap that means something), is that any team can go from terrible to amazing in a short amount of time, and vice verse. It makes every year an amazing ride that plays on fans' heartstrings in ways akin to Europe's soccer leagues. Well, that's enough of a rant, on to current events.

So anyone who has ridden in my car in the last, oh say year, may have noticed a slight, for lack of a better term, wobble. Well the wobble has recently gotten worse, and with it the wear on my tires. Now, I'm convinced that the wobble was caused by the terrible condition of Michigan roads on which I drove for so long. Anyway, the tires on the front of my car had worn the edges down so much that there was some beading appearing. With a long trip to Green Bay for a wedding this weekend, I decided it was finally time to replace the tires and fix the alignment. The whole thing cost me about what it cost to replace Jill's tires at a different tire company, but I think I have cheaper tires also. Anyway, it was a bit expensive, but incredibly necessary. The only problem, is that now the car feels like it drives funny because it ISN'T wobbling. What a cruel world!

In my final update of the day, our cats went in for their yearly check up last night also. In the past they have been pretty good about the vet, but got a little squirmy when it came to the shots. One time, Shaky damn near jumped off the table because he was so upset about the needle. Last night, I'm happy to say they both sat through their exam like champs. Neither moved nor even whined at all for the shots. On the downside, my cat (Shelly) is a bit overweight. Much like her daddy. So Shelly is now on a bit of a restricted diet, and we'll be exercising her a bit more regularly as well. Well, that's enough for one day. Hope everyone is well.....

Oh and by the way, two days in a row? Watch out blogging world!!!!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Fatty McKitterson.

We still need to get my brakes checked.

I'm hungry and have yet to get off the couch and shower. So I will do that now.

PS. The word verification is madjab. Ha ha ha. Sillyness.

Bugaboo said...

Glad to hear you got new tires before making a long trip because really, it's not such a good idea to keep driving around on old, worn out tires. Yes, it is expensive to do so, but hey, it's at least not a frequent expense, right?
As far as your sports rant is concerned: well, I just don't agree with what ANY sports team can pay, be it football, soccer, baseball or foosball. I won't go on though, because I can get rather rude and say mean things. I'll just say that they make too much. Now if I made that much on the other hand. . . that would be a different story! lol