Thursday, December 11, 2008

Just breath big fella...

6 hours....

6 F-ing hours is how long I've been working on this stupid, tiny, insignificant piece of code in an Excel Macro...only it's not so insignificant, it's the most important line in the whole F-ing program, and I have absolutely no idea why it isn't working....

It should work, even the little help file says that the code is exactly the way that it should be; only Excel doesn't seem to recognize it...

All I want to do is throw my laptop out the window. Unfortunately, the way things are going, I'd be standing there watching happily, hoping to see my disobediant computer explode in the parking lot; it would suddenly catch a breaze and sail off into the sunset, flicking me the TAB key....

Breath...just breathe big fella, giving yourself an aneurysm, isn't going to make the damn thing work....

Deep breath now.... That's it.... Ok, now let's take another look at the problem.

F-ing computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Violent chair squeaking, and overly forceful typing)

This was the scene about 20 minutes ago...

If the whole thing weren't so ludicrous, I might be joyous, ecstatic, jubilant even. I've just gotten it to work, and we're on our way to a fully functional program that will revolutionize how we do business in Best Buy Mobile Real estate. The thing is, the necessary piece of programing was there all along. Just that Excel wasn't "referencing" it. Do you know what it took to "reference" something that's been there waiting to be used for 6 hours? A click of the mouse on a check box buried deep in an obscure menu. What the hell Microsoft!?!?!

Well at least it's working now, and I can go home without being super crabby and possibly make some delicious, healthy spiced apple cider! Ooh I'm excited already!

3 comments:

Bugaboo said...

Wow. Sometimes I hate technology! Glad you finally got it to work there "big fella"! lol

kborn said...

ha ha. i hate microsoft some days. and some days, i don't know what i'd do without it. i was hating microsoft when i was trying to print my f-ing address labels. i gave up and hand wrote them....

kborn said...

btw, BOOOOOOOO that you're moving out of Mn. :-)

Hope your Christmas and New Year were enjoyable.