Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Silence of the snow

Have you ever sat out in a snow storm and just listened to the sound of it? If you're from the north, I'll bet you have. If you haven't, you should. It's really amazing how silent everything really is. I'm not talking about a blizzard with roaring winds, just a heavy snow fall. Two days ago Minneapolis got their first real snow fall of the season. Most places got about 4 inches of snow over a 6 hour period. Not too bad, but definitely a snow storm. During the snow fall, I walked across the street to the mall where Jill works. It was amazing how quiet our typically noisy neighborhood was. Even with SUV's driving too fast down the snow-covered road, it was very quiet.

It made me think of past times in my life where my friends and I would hike through the nature preserve in Stevens Point during snow storms. It is so quiet because all the animals are hunkered down and every other sound is muffled by a blanket of fresh snow. It really is amazing at how peaceful a snow storm can be. I highly recommend braving the cold to sit through one and just feel the silence of the snow...you wont be disappointed.

3 comments:

Bugaboo said...

I don't miss driving in the snow, but I do miss the snow itself, and the silence that comes with it. I'm sad that I think we're going to have a green Christmas here in MD. Make Jill take pics of your snow for me! :o)

Jill said...

Unless you're me. Then you'd be old and cranky and uber disappointed.

kborn said...

Oh scmeekle...drunk....how i miss you so. maybe I could convince mike to work for sentry insurance and we can all move back to point.........

i do love the sound of snow. we barely got snow here today and just everything seemed so ... silent i guess...